Creativity is the power to connect the seemingly unconnected…” - William Plomer
I’ve had a penchant for making new things out of old things for as long as I can remember. I’m also fascinated by history, arts and architecture, as well as historical techniques used in textile production and embellishment. These two passions merge in my work.
I craft my hats from textiles and found objects that I reclaim from second-hand sources, using tools handed down to me from my grandmothers. Many of my hat patterns, embroidery stitches and techniques date back several centuries. Working with “old timey” tools, techniques and textiles gives me a sense of reclaiming history, while giving a contemporary use to previously discarded objects.
The meaning behind "August Phoenix Hats"
August (verb) is a synonym for "resplendent"; Phoenix is a mythical bird represented in many cultures as being reborn from its own ash. Together they reference the fusion of cultural and historical influences that dominate my work, as well as the reclaimed materials I use.
August Phoenix Hats is a one-woman-owned business, a DBA of Lao Hats and a registered trademark in Washington State.
My Custom Made KittyHat, designed for the Women's March 2017, will continue to benefit Planned Parenthood. Keep an eye on my Custom Catalog for additional styles benefitting other organizations as I expand this concept into 2018.
I post my newest works and works in progress on Facebook and on my blog at the Phoenix Files. Click on the "What People Say" at the bottom of this page for my customer reviews, and "I'm in the News" for press pieces that have been written about me.
As of 2017 I am no longer doing 'in-person' shows. You can still find my hats at various Galleries & Events around the country. You may have see my hats previously at the following galleries and events:
- AnyDay Hats (Seattle, WA) 2015-2016
- Elemental Exhibit (Bellingham and LaConner) 2016
- Hatstravaganza (Seattle, WA) 2015
- Arts North Studio Tour (Seattle, WA) 2016-2017
- Holiday Sale at Brookfield Craft Center (Brookline, CT) since 2004
- Peters Valley Holiday Sale (Layton, NJ) since 2009
- Holiday Artisan Market, Tubac Center of the Arts (Tubac, AZ) since 2010
- Best of the Northwest (sponsored by the NW Art Alliance, Seattle, WA) 2003-2014
- Redmond Town Center Art Festival (Redmond, WA) 2012-2014
- MONAStyle (La Conner, WA) 2012-2013
- One & Only Holiday Show at the J.M. Kohler Art Gallery (Sheboygan, WI) 2005-2011
- RAGS Wearable Art Sale and Benefit (Tacoma, WA) 2006-2011
- More the Merrier at Molbaks (Woodinville, WA) 2006
- Holiday Sale at the Textile Center (Minneapolis, MN) 2005
- Bellevue Arts & Crafts Fair (Bellevue, WA) 2005
- Art as Gift, Pomerene Center (Coshocton, OH) 2003-2005